Thailand Property Thailand Property Thailand Property Thailand Property
Thailand Property Thailand Property
Thailand Property Thailand Property Thailand Property Thailand Property
Thailand Property Thailand Property
Huahin Legal Advise brings you a large selection of properties available for sale, rent or lease in the Hua Hin and Cha-Am areas of Thailand. Through our links with other reputable agents located throughout the Kingdom of Thailand we can locate property or land for sale, rent or lease of interest to you. Please contact us by using our contact us page giving us as much detail as possible and we will find the property or land you seek at the price you can afford. set out below the main points of interest to a foreigner wishing to buy land or property in Thailand. Further information can be obtained from our links page which has links to other useful websites giving further information.


Thai law states that foreigners (“farangs”) may not own land or property in Thailand in their own name. However a foreigner can own buildings. To purchase land in Thailand a foreigner has two options :

(a) the land is purchased on a 30 year leasehold with an option to extend that lease for further 30 year periods. The lessor cannot seize the property until the lease expires. The lease must be registered at the Land Registry and a fee is payable to them calculated on a percentage of the rent due under the lease for its entire term. The lease created will remain in force even if the property was sold.

(b) A foreigner may purchase the freehold of land by the formation of a company (Thai Limited company). The land will be owned by the company and not the individual. This is probably by far the most attractive means by which foreigners purchase land in Thailand. Thai law requires that the company has 51% Thai ownership but it is possible to amend the articles of association of the company to give greater protection to foreign shareholders. These changes allow the foreigner to be the only director and also permit that director to have sole control of any contractual dealings of the company (i.e to trade in property).

The law in relation to the purchase of condominiums is slightly different. Thai law states the percentage of units in a block sold to foreigners must not exceed 49% of the total number in that block. The funds to purchase a condominium must be remitted from abroad and recorded as such in a thai bank on what is known as a “Tor tor sam” document. This is an official document issued by a thai receiving bank in Thailand and must state the remittance is solely being used for the purchase of a property in Thailand.

Land measurement in Thailand is different to western measurement and is generally recorded in talang wah.

1 talang wah = 4 square metres = 42.7 square feet
100 talang wah = 400 square metres = 4,277 square feet
400 talang wah (1 rai) = 1600 square metres = 17,108 square feet
1000 talang wah (2.5 rai) = 4000 square metres = 42,772 square feet

Ownership of land is proven by production of a deed of ownership. This is called a “Chanot deed”. The person whose name is shown on the chanot deed has legal right to the land. It is imperative when purchasing land or property in Thailand that the deed is examined by a competent person. have access to property consultants and lawyers who can satisfy you as top the authenticity of chanot deeds and guide you through the legal formalities of land and property purchase in Thailand.

If you do not find the answer to your specific query or concern from visiting this page or through our links page then contact us with your query, and we will do our best to help.

Page loaded in 0.012 seconds.